"I tell them that actually figure skating is an extreme sport, it's tougher than hockey," said Laraque, after catching his breath during a training session with his skating partner in the Montreal suburb of Ste-Julie. "Figure skaters are mentally and physically much tougher than many athletes."

~ Georges Laraque, Canadian hockey player turned figure skater

Thursday, April 7, 2011

7 Days Away . . .

Wednesday, April 6,2011

AN is only 7 days away. I can hardly believe another year has gone by! Is everyone ready? Silly question. Of course you are! If you don't think so, pretend. Or focus on how many friends you'll see and what a great time you'll have. I myself am not competing this season due to injuries. So many skaters I know are injured right now, and more have become injured between adult sectionals and now. Whatever you do, don't overtrain and add yourself to that list! I am crossing my fingers for everyone to be healthy and ready next week. 

Last season was a whirlwind for me personally. I hadn't competed in 12 years, and put myself through four competitions. One (AN),included a spectacular fall on my hind quarters that hurt inside and out. I was sad to have fallen. But as we all saw Scott Hamilton say in RISE,"Everyone falls. Get up." So I remind you all of this statement. No matter how the week goes, get up. 

Things I am looking forward to:
- Terryl A's infectious smile
- Leslie A's optimism
- Elizabeth R saying the "K"
- Hugging Kianoosh
- The "wave" from the officials' stand
- Jay’s cookies
- Foam weapons
- The Beanie Baby Bazooka
- Rob L getting beaned by a tossie (or 10) from a sweeper

What I will miss:
- The WMAS gals "Wang Chung!"
- Lynne K

How about you? What are you looking forward to? See you soon!

* * * * 
Join the Adult Skating Committee on Facebook:"U.S. Adult Skating Committee"
Follow Lexi on Twitter: "AdultSk8USFS "
U.S. Figure Skating, Adult Skating Page 

7 comments:

  1. Beanie Baby Bazooka!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not attending. Have not participated since 2008. Was just dusting off my Gold Medal and Plate from 2006 and my silver medal from 2008 and realized, wow, it has been a while. Hope everyone has fun and is safe. I am going to Vegas that weekend, no skating planned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to #17! Best to all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must bux with Cheryl and I this year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to Adult Nationals but will not be doing what I planned. This will be my first trip to Nationals. I planned on competiting but three weeks ago injured my knee. So my plans have changed. My twin sister is still going and I plan to go and be her biggest chearleader. It will definitely be a very different experience and I am still trying to look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WMAS is sending you all a WANG CHUNG!

    ReplyDelete